Thursday, June 18, 2009

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

Officially, I am a wimp.  For more than a few years, I used to go as a leader, to girls' camp with church, for 6 days in seemingly unbearable heat and humidity, but always leaving camp with a sense of accomplishment for surviving and with the knowledge that I'd do just fine in the event of disaster, etc.  The first 3 days were always miserable, while my body attempted to physically adjust to the elements.  Irritable, too hot to eat (or to be very happy about having to build a fire and cook over it), couldn't drink enough water and sleeping (or not) on sheets that were completely wet from humidity. Then, magically as the 4th day was born,  I felt I would live to enjoy camping once again. Absolutely nothing had changed except me.  I had somehow become "climatized".  

However, when we came back from hurricane evacuation last year, we were 12 days without power and I did not experience a positive change in myself on the 4th day. In fact, I was growing less comfortable with each passing day!   What happened to all that resilience I was so proud of?  Age?  Infirmity?  Impatience? Entitlement?  A combination of the above?

All I know is, a couple weeks ago I had an offer from an A/C company to "check out" my cooling system for a fee and it sounded like a good idea to me . . . sort of a proactive approach to a hot summer.  Happy with their services, I felt confident I was in good shape ( a/c wise).  That was my first mistake.  Yesterday I spent the day in Houston and when I got home about 8pm last night, I found my thermostat registered at 85 degrees inside the house and the motor running like crazy for who knows how long.  

Being the sceptic I am, my initial thought was "have I been sabotaged?"   The a/c company was the first to know about it, so they came late this afternoon, replaced the culprit, waived the call out fee and for a mere total of  $300 or so for both visits, I was back in business!  I've gotta believe it was just one of life's little coincidences.  Hence, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

During the wait though, I was reminded slightly of camp and hurricane season.   Too hot to care about much of anything except parking myself under a ceiling fan and being grateful that at least I have electricity.  It's amazing how energized I became two minutes after it began to cool off in the house.  Visions of cleaning house, laundry and the various details of homemaking made me almost giddy enough to get busy.  Almost.   

3 comments:

Chelle said...

My poor momma! You should've come visit ME! My Mike doesn't think he'll live through this next week at summer camp. Ahhh, our conveniences!

Chris said...

You should go to WalMart and get some of those neck ties that you can wet and put around the back of your neck to keep you cool. They work and are not too expensive. You could also freeze some bottles of water so he'll have ice water when they start to thaw. Or send him with a spray bottle of water to spritz himself. Mostly, he'll just have to tough it out until his body begins to "climatize" . . . it only seems to take 3 days. :-( I honestly do not envy his trip, but if it doesn't kill him, he'll be stronger upon his return. Go, Mike, Go!

Mindi said...

Oh my Aunt Chris i don't like it when you have to be hot!