Monday, July 13, 2009

suPRIZE, suPRIZE, suPRIZE!

(If the title puts Gomer Pyle in your head, mission accomplished.)  

A week ago last Thursday afternoon (July 2nd), Chelle came down from Pearland to "help" me clean and organize.  (Remember the old adage, "Me and Daddy killed a bear, Daddy shot it"?) That's Chelle doing all the work.  Anyway, in a frenzy, she made the house presentable for guests and just as she sat down for a well-deserved break, there was a knock at the door.  

My Aaron, Lisa and their 22 month old daughter, Amelia (aka Millie) from Utah were on my doorstep.  I had no idea they were coming.  Aaron is really big on surprises.  Chelle and Jen knew about the visit, but no one else.  We were all surprised.  That's the way he likes it.

It's been a whirlwind nine days of plenteous laughter and loving, not to be outdone by eating. We even managed to have some family photos taken by a sweet friend of ours.  Aaron did several much-needed honey-do jobs for me and demonstrated his cooking prowess a couple of times.  Lisa treated us to some beautiful piano music and kept my kitchen clean, in spite of our constant efforts to leave it in a mess.  We were all entertained by Amelia's antics.  Her mother is good to share Millie with us on her blog, but sadly, it is not the same as being able to love on her in person.  What a precious little thing!

When any one of my kids is out of pocket, I go to sleep with a nagging feeling that something is slightly amiss.  I know that all is well enough with them, but somehow, my world seems incomplete.  For nine days, my life was whole again.  I will admit that in an era when most families are scattered in order to go where the work is, I am fortunate to have the majority of my family nearby.

So they left last Saturday (July 11th) and I tried to be brave but alas, I am not very proficient at it.  When I was a child and we left from a visit to my grandmother's house, I remember thinking it was foolish that she would always cry.  After all, we had stayed a whole two weeks, and we'd be coming back again the next summer!  Not only have I become my mother, I've apparently become my grandmother.

4 comments:

Mindi said...

I'm so glad you got to spend some much needed time with your family, enjoy every second! I love you!

Chelle said...

Yes, it was pretty perfect. Let's do it again real soon! I always say you and Dad did an awesome job in raising such a great family. Kudos!!

Lisa said...

Chris, thank you for the fun times, the laughter, the late night advice and all the love in the world you have to give to Aaron, Millie and me. I had a wonderful time and felt so loved there. I can see why everyone loves the Van Horn Home.....there is love there. I too carry the same trait as your Grandmother and cried as we left. I want you to know that Aaron is very lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive mother and loving sister. I felt at home and loved every minute I was there and to tell you the truth I didn't want to go.

Thanks,
Lisa

Jen said...

We did have lots of fun. I know exactly what you're talking about with your surprise, surprise, surprise. Thought it before you explained!!