Saturday, June 13, 2009

New Favorite Movie

Being the self-professed movie enthusiast that I am, I've seen quite a few movies since school let out for the summer, as I have more time now to waste, I mean, to expand my mind.

Of late, a new favorite has surfaced. My Chelle innocently saw it by chance and because she knows me and my taste in films, recommended it to me. It was already on my Netflix queue, but she went as far as to bump it up for me so it would come quicker. I am so happy she did. I've seen it twice and tomorrow I'm gonna put everybody in straightjackets if need be so my other two daughters can see it (and I can watch it again)!

Lars and the Real Girl, starring Ryan Gosling (of The Notebook and Remember the Titans, among others) is NOTHING like I thought it would be and after a slow start, had me hanging on every word. It was an amazing observation of psychology with a combination of sweet humor, love and sorrow, all at the same time. Gosling is the master of facial expressions, proving that one picture is indeed worth a thousand words. The supportive roles, especially by Lars'  brother, sister-in-law and female co-worker were amazing. The script is much deeper than seems at first glance. I am reminded that "slow but sure, wins the race." 

It surpassed "Dan In Real Life" as my all-time favorite movie. There was only one noticeable inappropriate word in the whole story, (I know, Jen, only a little garbage in the brownies) but it was pure human interest, my favorite!

When I especially enjoy a film, I like to watch the Selected Features afterward. Learning all about the making of a movie endears it to me even more. Lars and the Real Girl will be the very next purchase for my limited collection. I buy few movies because they are so easy and inexpensive to rent, but the thought-provoking ones, I must own. My counsel would be to run, do not walk, to the nearest rental and if you don't like it, well then, we just don't have the same taste in movies. But I loved it enough that it continues to randomly occupy my idle thoughts.

P.S. We all watched it again today. Still love it, but apparently there are several more than the one inappropriate word in the movie. Didn't notice it so much when there were no children around to protect. Guess I'm not the best critic unless you count double standards.

4 comments:

Jen said...

It was a good movie. It didn't have enough language in it to bother me...just bothered Ella some...haha

Mindi said...

gonna have to see it if my Aunt Chris recommends it!!!

Chris said...

Mindi, It's a really different movie, almost weird, but in a wonderful kind of way. Don't pay any attention to the summary of the movie written on the cover and you will be pleasantly surprised at the way it evolves into such a feel good story. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Love ya!

Lisa said...

I will have to get that one and see it. I haven't heard of it but it sounds good! Thanks