Monday, May 4, 2009

Another Milestone


Friday afternoon on April 24, 2009, a few of us were able to attend the Commencement for UTMB in Galveston for Melissa Dawn McCauley.  In December, she received her Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing, but we wanted to enjoy the entire pomp and circumstance at the graduation ceremony. 

 Jen couldn't get off work, but Chelle and I took Ella and Brennan.   Cheyenne and Ciara saved seats for us so we were able to sit together and it was a proud time for all of us. Chelle even had an opportunity to poke fun at me for tearing up when the music for the processional started. That stinkin' music has the same affect on me as the wedding march, auld lang syne, Silent Night or any other notable piece that rings in a momentous occasion.  It brings me to tears every time. 

Shortly after Melissa's name was called and she walked across the stage, the youngest two became restless so Chelle took them outside and next door to shake their wiggles out (thank goodness for her)!   Ciara and Cheyenne looked just beautiful and are always so well-behaved that we enjoy being with them.   Often they can be hilarious.  For instance . .  

There was a gathering Saturday evening in my home to celebrate my aging and becoming  and more feeble.  All three of my girls were there with 5 of my grandchildren.  It was Ciara's turn to shine. Melissa told the story of Chey's trip to the dentist recently. . . an outing that Cheyenne used to hate with a passion.  Then, they discovered nitrous oxide.  Well, it was already discovered, but Dr. Bell offered to use it with Cheyenne, who has found new joy in having dental work done.  The thing you should know about Dr. Bell is that he is absolutely determined none of his patients will have the slightest bit of pain, so he deadened her up really well.  She resembled something between Popeye and  a stroke victim.  

It reminded Ciara of the comedy routine that Bill Engvall does where a man was asked what he did for a living, when he arched his eyebrow and says, "What do you THINK I do for a living?Look at my face.  I'm a pilot!"   So, Ciara quipped that if someone asks Cheyenne the same question, she will have to say, (with one side of her face all scrunched), "What do you THINK I do for a living? Look at my face.  I sell snow cones!"   It was one of those local jokes (you woulda had to have been there, because I have not the words to describe what we saw).  We laughed a long time over that.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Now we just need to get a picture of Chey with that face! Too funny!

Mindi said...

congratulations Melissa!