Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Desperation


We are a happy family. We have fun. In fact, we have so much fun that we never want to go to bed and risk missing something exciting. Sleep deprivation is a serious problem in our nation but particularly in our family. It can cause all kinds of problems, but most noticeable is the irritability. Melissa's kids can fall asleep on cue and sleep 'round the clock if time permits. Chelle's kids are asleep in a timely manner night after night.

But Jen and Jon have NEVER had early-to-bed-early-to rise children. They are better described as late-to-bed-early-to-rise children. With so much energy to burn, they are like Apache horses, they run and run until they fall over from complete exhaustion, unless they begin the Battle of the Bed . After the typical playing hard outside, supper, homework, bathes, reading, etc., the trouble starts with the gambit of excuses after they are put to bed, i.e. "thirsty, hungry, dizzy, sore throat, scared, itchy, headache, the others are bothering me, ( and the heart-rendering) I just want to give you one more kiss and a hug". I've spent the night there enough times to witness Jen trying all the right things. The Supernanny techniques, withholding privileges, substantial rewards for good behavior, and good ol' corporal punishment. The little ones just don't want to give it up.

So, this morning, I scraped the bottom of the barrel of grand parenting for something that might make a difference. Since all their middle names should have been "go", we are grounded until further notice. . . no pre-school today, which resulted in broken hearts. These kids are extremely social and would much rather have a beating. Since I love the three free hours to run errands or clean house, I'D almost rather have a beating, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Not only no pre-school today, but if tonight is a repeat, there will be no play group tomorrow. Thursday is not only pre-school again, but a field trip to the fire department! Often on Friday, I try to take them to the mall to play on the Dow furniture, but oh well, if they can't go to sleep without being put in restraints or being heavily sedated (just kidding, CPS), they will not get to partake of said festivities. And I will be sad too. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Although I'm trying to be positive that it will work...I am not holding my breath. I'm just hoping that when the two little ones are a little older they will settle in at night like Anna does. Let's pray it hasn't made me completely insane for that! I'm sure it's terribly hard being the disciplinarian Nana, but I appreciate the help.

Chelle said...

I'm so proud of you for putting pics on! You are doing great!!

Mindi said...

good luck! I know this is bad but, I tell my boys if they want candy to get in bed, then I turn off the lights and give them one m&m for each hand. works for every nap!

Chris said...

Oh, Mindi, if it were only that easy! I don't have any trouble at nap time . . . it's at night that they don't want to give it up. I hope your boys always go to bed that well. I will say ours seem to be doing better, at least for now.