Sunday, May 17, 2009

Angels In The Produce Department

It isn't a huge news flash, but I feel it needs to be shared.  There are still really good people out there who do small random acts of kindness that restore one's faith in humanity.  

Saturday evening, Jennifer bravely took all three of her children to a local grocery store with her. (She had offers to watch the kids but gracefully declined, determined to take the whole bunch.) While they were in the produce area, one of the children spotted some yummy-looking cherries and asked if they could get some.  Wise shopper that she is, Jen noticed them priced at a whopping $8 per pound and told her they "could not afford those" and moved along. But before they got too far away, an employee who obviously overheard their conversation, came over with a bag of cherries that had a big orange neon sticker on it, showing they were on sale for only $1 a pound.

I've heard that LIFE itself is just a bowl of cherries, but I sincerely hope that sweet person receives a star in their crown (on judgement day) for the small, thoughtful gestures that make such a difference.  On the outside chance that you might feel sorry for the store because they failed to make a profit on that "sale", rest assured. . . even though they are not the cheapest store in town, I will be doing a great deal more of my shopping there to make up the difference.

When Jen told me about it, a smile came into my mind.  Years ago, when I had her at the grocery store and she asked for something that I was about to explain to her we couldn't get because we weren't going right home and it would spoil in the car, before I could get the explanation out she said with a sigh, "I know, it's too expendable!" (meaning too expensive) Sounds like Jennifer may have also been disappointed a time or two before.  Sorry folks, some items are simply not worth the money they are asking us to fork over.  The sooner we can come to terms with that, the better off we will be.  However, I am happy my grandchildren got to have some yummy cherries.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I was floored by his gesture. And the cherries were yummy. Not many left, so you know the kids have enjoyed them. Let's just hope they don't want anymore...may not have another angel in the produce department. Remember all those times I would get reprimanded for because my "voice carried"? Looks like it paid off on this grocery visit.

Chris said...

The moral of the story is, you coulda just as easily said something like, "who would be stupid enough to pay that kind of money on fruit?" I'm not so sure the angel would have responded as he did. Since your voice STILL carries, you are wise to choose your words with so much dignity and grace! What is the expression about "catching more flies with honey than vinegar"? Keep on spreading that honey around!! You teach even more important lessons outside the classroom.

Chelle said...

Expensive,expendable... kindigarden,kindergarten...I'm just glad I'm not the only one to get my words a little confused. Even if she was but a child. I'm thankful to the produce man. I just recently had a good experience with the meat man here in Pearland. It can be a wonderful world after all!

Mindi said...

I love angels! and thanks for making me cry....again...love you!

Virgie said...

I still think Chris should write a book. Have thought that so many times. Every letter I've received from her, every conversation on the phone......I am amazed at this wonderful woman's vocabulary, presentation and I just love the way her mind works. I am so Blessed to be her friend.
Mindi.....you are now dubbed "Niagra"
I give you my crown

Love you Chris

Mindi said...

Mom you have not lost your crown to me...we shall share it, im not selfish..lol...(you know you teared up)..