Sunday, April 5, 2009

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

I've been lucky in love, lucky with in-laws and lucky with my lineage. I've been incredibly lucky with the family I have, to live in America, and far too many other things to mention, but I am simply not lucky at chance. So I don't play penny-ante poker, have never bought a lottery ticket in my life and didn't gamble a nickel on my one and only trip to Vegas. Therefore, it only makes sense that I never win anything. If I do purchase, say, raffle tickets for a fund-raiser, it is purely for donation's sake. I have never won and don't expect to.

However, a recent contribution to the classical radio station KUHF in Houston (88.7 on your dial) automatically entered me in a contest and amazingly enough, I WON! I came home to find a congratulatory message on my answering machine, announcing an all expense paid trip for two to St. Paul, MN to attend a live broadcast of the show, "Prairie Home Companion" with Garrison Keillor. I've been a fan of the show for years so I don't have to tell you how excited I am. They said I could choose any weekend in October, so I may go early, since I don't do "cold" very well. I'll get more details later.

Speaking of chicken dinner (in the title of this entry), a couple weeks ago, Jen and I took her children and a friend of theirs out to eat. They love Chinese food and Jen said they especially like the General Tsao's spicy chicken, orange chicken and bourbon chicken from the food court at the Lake Jackson mall. When it's something they really like, they eat like refugees, so we bought a lot and none of it was thrown away.

Days later, Ella was hungry and wanted to get more "suburban chicken" from the mall. Normally, I like to educate them but 1) I thought it was so cute and 2) it saves me from explaining to others within hearing distance that we don't slink out to the food court in the mall to become inebriated on chicken that sounds like it's been soaking in alcohol. It is yummy, but it just tastes charcoal grilled. If we were at a fine-dining establishment, I might be concerned there is actually bourbon in it, but with the cost of using it for food-court food, no worries there. I'll eventually straighten Ella out, but for now, it's "suburban chicken"!

3 comments:

Chelle said...

I'd like to get me some of that suburban chicken! Poor Ella. She may be more like me than I thought.

Lisa said...

Ella is too cute for words. Congratulations on you BIG WIN! I hope that you have a wonderful time. :)

Jen said...

I could go for some suburban chicken!