Monday, March 23, 2009

A Friend Called "Chubb-0"

It is amazing that my Michelle doesn't have identity issues. She was named Michelle Andrea after her father, Michael Andrew. We shortened it and called her Chelle for years (pronounced Shell or Shelley). Long ago, Tammy and Dana Papritz's children (now living in Oregon), dubbed her "Chelbo" and it stuck for all of us. But it has got to stop.

Today, the mother of Ella & Brennan's playmate called to see if the kids could come over to play for a while and I couldn't get to the phone, so Ella answered it for me. Recognizing a familiar voice and thinking it was Chelle, I heard her say boldly, "Hi, Chelbo!" When I got to the phone, my friend sounded slightly offended when she told me Ella had called her "Chubb-O". It took some explaining to set things right. Gratefully, she is in great shape, can run circles around me, and has an understanding heart. Why couldn't it have been one of the many sales calls I get during the day???

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh if only it could have been a sales call that could have been awesome! The kids are too cute for words but you do a wonderful job telling us about them and their experiences. Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Until my kids get older, I'm sure the nickname, Chelbo, isn't going anywhere.

Chelle said...

I don't mind it. I just have a hard time keeping my step kids from saying it at times. Just doesn't feel right. Ya know, that's also what the Papritz kids call their chapstick. When their lips are dry they say, "I need some Chelbo!" Crazy stuff.