Monday, February 23, 2009

Personal Note to Tammy Papritz

Dear Tammy the Orphan,

In response to your touching and hilarious comment, I must say that I don't recall an excessive amount of time that you ever spent at my house when you were younger, which means that you must have fit in like a member of the family.

Regarding the teaching you to cook, all I did was share recipes ... you taught yourself to cook! And amazingly well, I must say.

As far as your reception, Annette Berger and I did that together. It's like saying, "Daddy and I killed a bear. Daddy shot it!" She no doubt did the lion's share, as I was always too dependent on her. That's why I've never been the same since she moved away. Much like when you did. San Antonio wasn't too bad, but Oregon?? Come on!!!

Illness, surgery or just for grins, anytime I have ever come to your house it has been for selfish reasons on my part. I cannot think of a more fun place to be or better company to be with. So, do I think of you as one of my kids? Once upon a time I used to, but not anymore. Not really. I don't even think of you as my equal. You surpassed my equal. You are my go-to girl for wise counsel, advice, an opinion or example of how to conduct myself in a difficult situation, such as a death in the family, today's economy, world affairs or just for invigorating conversation. Have you forgotten that I even entrusted one of my children to your good care for a time? Turns out, the priceless friendship that ensued has been one of the best things to have ever happened to that person. Although I do think of your children as my adopted grandchildren, you would be better described as my mentor than my child. I so much enjoy your keen sense of humor ...

When I am missing you, all I have to do is envision us at the side of your beloved grandmother's freshly dug grave, gathering flowers to make potpourri sachets for the family. The memory of your leg being sucked into the mud, like a reverent rectangle of quicksand, unable to pull yourself out, gives me a much needed belly laugh, even after all these years. I was so grateful that I had my back turned so you could not see me laughing hard, (but silently), until I heard you start laughing and accusing your poor grandmother of trying to take you with her. Right now, I can see your "white" sandal as clear as day in my mind, so covered with mud that it looked like you were barefoot, with no way in sight to wash off. Surely that is an example of what they refer to as precious memories!

Or how about the time we sabotaged the Berger's car interior the (very) early morning of their departure date of vacation? We had "Fang" the rubber snake, blasting the A/C and radio, etc so that when they started their car, they would be "surprised" and know that they were going to miss us ... I mean that we were going to miss them. Icing on the cake was filling the car with balloons that caused a patrolman to check on our proceedings toward that end. Good Times. Good Times.

So how can I call you a kid? Just because you are younger, thinner, smarter and better looking? Nope, you will have to settle for being the best little orphan I have EVER had in my life. You are immensely loved by me and my family. Don't you ever doubt it for a minute!

3 comments:

Chelle said...

I see who's the favorite now... VIP gets her very own blog entry. And a great one, it is!

Autumn P. said...

wow... Chris. Now you're making Chelle jealous.

But i must admit, I WISH i could have been there to see her getting sucked into that grave. I really hope I was watching from heaven thinking:
"what? THATS HER?! THAT one right there, with her foot in that GRAVE?!!! She's the one thats going to be MY MOM? REally?! that clumzy one?! .... OK i'll take her. I can tell it'll be fun."

Chris said...

Autumn, I am sure you thank heaven above every day that you were born to your parents instead of anyone else's. They are both extraordinary individuals who have an indelible place in my heart.