Saturday, February 21, 2009

Laceration Laces

What will they think of next?!! I am forever proud of ALL my children with their unique personalities and individual attributes. Each one so bright and beautiful that it is truly a pleasure to be in their company. Case in point ...

A few days ago, Melissa, my eldest daughter, told us something that impressed me enough that I wanted to share it. She is a R.N., working at BASF and she saw an employee in the health clinic with a laceration about 1 1/2" on the back of her scalp. There was not a doctor available to stitch up the wound at the time and Melissa was contemplating sending her to the ER when she remembered something a doctor she had worked with long ago told her and they (she & the patient) decided to give it a try. She cleaned it well, took strands of hair from either side of the laceration, pulled them firmly and french-braided the hair to draw the laceration closed. After the appropriate number of days for healing, the french braid was simply "undone" and stitches were not necessary! Wow!! Now, you may think me simple, but that is just about the smartest thing I have heard in a very long time!!

It wasn't that long ago that this same daughter was out of town at a nursing convention when she and a fellow nurse were leaving a class that had been offered but had filled to capacity so they were unable to attend. Just as they were passing by, a gentleman was having a heart attack in the elevator. Pretty smart to have it during a nursing convention. Melissa and friend performed CPR and were successful! (During an EMT class I took, I was taught that even if you do CPR 100% correctly, the patient only has a 60% survival rate) He is alive and well. Somehow, the patient and his wife were eventually able to contact Melissa and express their gratitude. She is not the only life saver in our midst.

A couple years ago, daughter #2, Jennifer, an elementary school teacher, noticed a panic-stricken student turning blue and making guttural sounds. She asked if he was okay. He shook his head "no". She quickly did the Heimlich maneuver. Nothing.
She did it a second time and a sinister little piece of candy went flying across the room! He began to cry and she sent him to the nurse to get checked out. He was fine, but I'm guessing a little turned off by Skittles now.

Since I'm on a roll, might as share the story about Jen driving off the driveway at her grandparents house in San Felipe years ago. The back tire went flat when she landed in the culvert. My son, ( and her brother) Aaron, who was only about ten years old was in the car also. No one at her grandparent's was home at the time. That was before the event of cell phones and she didn't know any of the distant neighbors in the rural area. Frustrated and angry with herself, not knowing what to do, she began to cry. Tender heart that Aaron is, said in his little boy voice, "Don't cry, Jen-Jen ... I'll fix it!" Jennifer was grateful for his support, but skeptical of his knowledge or ability. I would be too. How could he know? But he did it. He changed that flat tire. I suppose all that hanging around with his dad paid off! He has rescued many a person stranded on the side of the road since then. It must be a gender thing. He can't help himself. Aaron is a prince of alacrity.

Daughter #3, Michelle (better known as Chelle) is a proven life saver for me regularly. When MY Mike was taking cancer treatment back in "97, she was away from home, but came back to help me help him. When he died, she stayed on with me and became my right hand. Both the other girls had family responsibilities but Chelle was single, so I leaned heavily on her.
Melissa, Jennifer and Aaron are all perfect blends of their parents and extended family, but Chelle is solid Van Horn. She is more like Mike than Mike is. After a time, she had the unmitigated gall to fall in love and marry HER Mike and move "all the way" to Pearland (about 40 minutes away). Her Mike has 3 children and she took to mothering like a duck to water, but she still continues to rescue me as needed.

I acknowledge that I am blessed far beyond merit with my "children". Color me grateful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What about me? ......and when I practically lived at your house as a teenager, and what about when you taught me to cook. And when you did my wedding reception, and you came when I had babies. Or when I had sick babies you flew out and helped. Yep it was you that came when I moved or I was sick or had surgery. I pretty sure that was all you helping me all the time. So with that much care and love I guess I was just hoping I was one of your kids. Oh well....Lucky kids those four. Tammy the orphan

Chelle said...

Well, obviously YOU and DAD did something right!!