Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bad Luck Better Than No Luck At All?

It's official. I should NOT be on the sign up sheet at church to provide transportation to doctors' visits, etc. in Houston. It's the same theory I have that I should wear a warning sign on my back in the grocery store or any other line, as it will definitely be the slowest one in the store. Get in line behind me and I can pretty much guarantee a long wait. Last time I took a friend to Houston, she needed to be there by 11:30am, but she lives way out in the Bermuda Triangle and I had never been to her house before so I left about 9:30am from my house and only had to call 3 people for directions before I could find it (naturally, the friend's phone was out of order). The house number I had been given was 529. Their correct number is 215 (yes, they've moved since the paperwork was done). I finally pick her up and head to Houston. Smooth sailing. She was there in time and they took her right in. This is what getting cocky does for you.... She finished with the tests at the doctor's office about 5:30pm and we were able to find the car in the parking lot (don't take for granted that is an easy thing for me to do normally). I'm feeling pretty good about things when I turn the key and nothing. Not a click, nothing but dead silence, emphasis on the dead. Okay, we're on the 6th floor of the garage parking at the Medical Center ... who do I call? My younger brother, Dan is my go-to guy for rescues, but this time I thought of my brother-in-law extraordinaire, Brad, who lives closer and could get to us faster. He & my sister, Kat both come in a very short amount of time, but had to drive 'round and 'round trying to find the right parking garage because its hard enough in the day time, but at night .... well, thank goodness for cell phones. I finally went out to the street and flagged them down. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "street walker". Inside, it was first thought to be the typical culprit ... the battery. We jumped it. (that's like the expression, "me and Daddy killed a bear - Daddy shot it") No such luck. Brad determined it must be the starter. Great. Now what? Can't leave it here. Call a wrecker, you say... Kat did have towing service included in her insurance (for any car she was in) so finally, a break. When we called, they were concerned about the mere 7' clearing in the garage.... would have to get a "special" wrecker. When he came, Brad had to go down to the street and flag HIM in. He was great. Professional, courteous, and fast! He pulled my car to Kat & Brad's house in Rosharon, then I borrowed Kat's car to take my friend home and myself home, which was then about 10:30pm. Brad, an ace mechanic, fixed my car the next day and we met in Angleton to swap vehicles. Runs like a top now. It was just a little journal entry.....but ....
the last time I agreed to take a (different) friend, it went like this: She was confined to a wheelchair, so we went in her van to Houston. She was to see the eye doctor. No problem. Her husband had serious Alzheimer's disease, so he couldn't be left home and accompanied us. No problem. He is gentle, sweet and agreeable, so I was comfortable with his going. She saw the doctor, got a good report, so we are loading up in the van to go home when, behind me, she drives her motor-driven wheelchair around a post and down the concrete steps sideways, falling out and continuing to roll down to the bottom of the steps. She is hurting so they call an ambulance to take her across the street to the hospital. Oh yeah, I am informed later that the eye doctor had dilated her eyes! That would have been helpful information to know that she could not see! Well, long story short, we (and I do mean the friend, her husband who cannot be left alone for a minute and I) spent all the rest of the day and evening at the hospital with them running tests on her before they released her to go home. Since it happened on their property, I suspect they were especially attentive to avoid litigation. It is a true story. I couldn't make this stuff up.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

Ah, the exciting adventures in the life of Christine! And yet, you keep persevering like the Mom we know and love!!